How to Become an Esthetician in Oklahoma
Embarking on a career path as an esthetician can be an exciting journey that offers a blend of creativity, self-expression, and the opportunity to help others feel confident and beautiful. If you have a passion for skincare, becoming an esthetician could be the perfect path for you! The path to becoming a licensed esthetician involves a series of steps that ensure you’re well-equipped with the tools needed to succeed.
In this blog, we’re going through the process of becoming an esthetician in Oklahoma!
Apply For A School With An Esthetics Program
The first step towards becoming a licensed esthetician is to receive proper training and education. This is where Broken Arrow Beauty College comes in. Choosing the right school is crucial, as it plays a huge role in your future career. At Broken Arrow Beauty College, you’ll find a nurturing and professional environment that is dedicated to honing your skills and fostering your passion for esthetics.
What Are The Admission Requirements?
To become a student at Broken Arrow Beauty College, you must meet certain requirements. These requirements include:
- Age: Applicants must be at least 16 years old to enroll in an esthetics program.
- Education: Aspiring students need to have a high school diploma or equivalent.
Complete The Required Program Hours
Our 600-hour esthetics program can be completed in just a few short months! Our goal is to train students in the science behind skincare basics and the business that supports it. Our esthetics program covers a range of topics, including skincare techniques, facial treatments, hair removal, and more. Our experienced instructors provide hands-on training and guidance to ensure you’re well-prepared for the next steps in your journey. In our program, students can expect to learn:
- Theory: Bacteriology, Sanitation, Sterilization, Cosmetology Law
- Sciences: Anatomy, Histology, Dermatology & Physiology of the Skin
- Facials: Includes draping, manipulations, cleaning, toning, chemistry, light therapy & makeup
- Non-permanent hair removal: (includes methods, procedures & arching)
- Salon development: (includes business administration, law, insurance, professional ethics, record keeping, business telephone techniques, salesmanship displays, advertising, hygiene & public health
Take And Pass The Exams
After successfully completing the required education and training, the next step is to take the written and practical exams administered by the Oklahoma State Board. The written exam evaluates your theoretical knowledge, while the practical exam assesses your practical skills in a real-world setting.
For more information about the exams, go here.
Apply For State Licensure
Upon passing both the written and practical exams, you’ll be eligible to apply for your state esthetician license through the Oklahoma State Board of Cosmetology and Barbering. This license is your key to officially practicing as an esthetician in the state.
License & Fees Details:
- Renewal is required on the last day of the birth month annually.
- Application/Initial Fee – $25.00
- License Renewal Fee – $25.00
- Late Penalty (License expired over two months) – $10.00
Get Started On Your Career!
Becoming a licensed esthetician can open up a world of exciting career opportunities in various settings. Here are some avenues you can explore:
- Spas and Salons: Many estheticians rewarding careers in spas and salons, offering facial treatments, hair removal, makeup application, and skincare advice to clients.
- Medical Spas and Dermatology Clinics: If you’re interested in more advanced skincare treatments, you can work in medical spas or dermatology clinics, providing services like chemical peels, laser treatments, and microneedling under the guidance of medical professionals.
- Retail and Product Sales: Estheticians often have the opportunity to work with skincare and cosmetic companies, offering product recommendations and sales expertise.
- Freelancing and Entrepreneurship: With the right skills and business acumen, you can start your own esthetics business, offering specialized treatments and services to a dedicated clientele.
Continue Your Education
The world of esthetics is always changing, bringing new techniques, products, and treatments to the scene all the time. To give your clients the best, it’s important to keep learning. Jumping into workshops, and advanced courses, and hanging out at seminars isn’t just about learning more stuff – it’s about getting better at tailoring solutions for your clients’ ever-changing preferences.
And guess what? Staying in the loop with the coolest trends and latest tech helps you become the go-to expert for your clients. They’ll trust you big time, which means they’ll stick around and look to you for all their skincare and beauty questions. In the skincare industry where happy clients are everything, keeping up with new trends and techniques can be your VIP pass to a booming esthetics career!
Ready To Become An Esthetician?
Becoming an esthetician in Oklahoma can be a fulfilling journey that begins with quality education and training. With proper education, hands-on training, and the guidance of experienced instructors, you can take your passion for skincare and beauty to new heights.
*financial aid is only available to those who qualify